Not something that happens
But the way something happens
-- Charles Ives,
Essays Before a Sonata

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Chorus of Westerly celebrates its 50th anniversary

The Chorus of Westerly was founded in 1959 in Westerly, R.I., by George Kent, who remains its director today. They recently celebrated their 50th anniversary in the George Kent Performance Hall, a former church that the Chorus has bought, renovated, and converted into a concert hall.

I was privileged to be a part of this wonderful community from 2001-03 as I conducted the fieldwork for my doctoral dissertation, and I greatly enjoyed singing through Handel's Messiah at the open singing that was part of the 50th anniversary celebration.

Photo: interior of the George Kent Performance Hall, taken 11/7/2009.

No comments: